Random Thoughts (part 2)
by Sachi Sri Kantha, January 17, 2018
In this part, I focus on Kannadasan’s productivity: both of, physical and intellectual variety. On physical productivity, Kannadasan had a total of 15 children, from three wives, married in sequence in 1950, 1951 and 1976.
Kannadasan’s first wife’s name was Ponnama, from his native region, Karaikudi. The date of marriage was Feb 9, 1950. He was only 22 then. Seven children were born from this union. Their names were Alamelu (f), Kanmani Subbu (m), Thenammai (f), Kalaivanan (m), Visalatchi (f), Ramasamy (m) and Venkatasalam (m). Following year, in 1951, Kannadasan married second time. His wife’s name was Parvathi, from Chennai. In his autobiography, he called this cryptically as his ‘second arrangement’. Again, he had seven children from this union. Their names were Gandhi (m), Kamalanathan (m), Annadurai (m), Seenivasan (m), Gopalakrishnan (m), Revathi (f) and Kalaichelvi (f). Then, 25 years later, against opposition from his family members, Kannadasan married for the third time in May 1976, when he was 48. His wife’s name was Valli. One daughter, Visali was born. Again, in his autobiography, Kannadasan makes mention that for this ‘second arrangement’, Karunanidhi expressed his criticism then. Anna, his then political leader, made a sarcasm-tinged quip such as, ‘Why are you asking two-two for everything?’
The Kannadasan compendium (2003) edited by Prof. M. Sayabu Maraikayar provides a list of 123 published titles, under separate categories, as Kannadasan’s oeuvre; poetry, epics, movie lyrics, religious philosophy, essays, short stories, historical novels, social novels, novellas, dramas, autobiography, thought droppings, life-help advisory literature, edited works, commentaries and travelogues. Only the names of the titles are given in this listing. Here, I provide additional details for 46 of these titles (which are in my personal library), such as the year of first edition and page numbers of these titles. Exceptionally, I have included one 2nd edition work. I do have another dozen titles of minor works in my collection, but unfortunately cannot reach them in time for this essay. I’m not a big fan of fiction, as such I have ignored purchasing Kannadasan’s historical novels and novellas. Kannadasan’s entire corpus is given below, for its reference value. I have indicated, what I consider as Kannadasan’s 23 major works with asterisks.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 1. 1957.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 2. 1958. Combined edition of both Part 1 and Part 2 makes up 327 pages.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 3. 1968. 252 pp.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 4. 1971. 160 pp.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 5. 1972. 216 pp.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 6. 1976. 283 pp.
- *Kannadasan Kavithaikal. Part 7. 1982. 358 pp.
- Ambikai Azhaku Tharisanam. 1981. 108 pp.
- Kizhakum Maerkum Enthiya Thalaivan.
- Thai Paavai. 1974. 39 pp.
- Paadi Kodutha Mangalamkal. 1985. 224 pp.
- Sri Krishna Anthathi.
- Sri Krishna Kavasam.
- Sri Krishna Gaanam.
- Aadanathi Aathimanthi.
- Murruperaa Kaviyankal. 1989. 219 pp.
- *Yaesu Kaviyam.
- *Thirai Isai Paadalkal. Part 1. 1970. 451 pp. contain 500 lyrics.
- * Thirai Isai Paadalkal. Part 2. 1971. 409 pp. contain 501 lyrics.
- * Thirai Isai Paadalkal. Part 3. 1986. 496 pp. contain 500 lyrics.
- * Thirai Isai Paadalkal. Part 4. 2001. 518 pp. contain 501 lyrics.
- * Thirai Isai Paadalkal. Part 5. 2011. 526 pp. contain 500 lyrics.
- *Arthamulla Indu Matham. Part 1. 1973. 167 pp.
- Arthamulla Indu Matham. Part 2.
- Arthamulla Indu Matham. Part 3.
- ThunbankaLilirunthu Viduthalai. Part 4.
- Gnanam pirantha kathai. Part 5.
- Nenjunkku Nimmathi. Part 6.
- Suhamaana Sinthanaikal. Part 7. 1978. 80 pp.
- Poham, Roham, Yogam. Part 8.
- Gnanathai Thedi. Part 9.
- Unnaiye Nee Arivaai. Part 10.
- Arthamulla Indu Matham –Questions and Answers.
- Anantha Rahasiyam.
- Pon Mazhai. 1977. 79 pp.
- Bhaja Govindam.
- Sri Venkatesa Subrapatham.
- Anthi Santhi Artha Jamam.
- Ilakkiyathil Kaathal.
- Theiva Tharisanam. 1985. 76 pp.
- Ennangal Aayiram. 1979. 80 pp.
- Raga Malika.
- Gnana Malika. 1971. 160 pp.
- Pushpa Malika. 1971. 96 pp.
- Kadaisi Pakkam. 1976. 124 pp.
- Santhithaen Sinthithaen.
- Sorgathil Anna.
- Kannadasan Kadduraikal.
- Kannadasan Kathambam.
- Nambikkai Malarkal. 1981. 124 pp.
- Naan Rasitha Varnanaikal.
- Thaasi Veedu senra Oruvanin Anupavankal.
- Thottatu Pookal. 1978. 48 pp.
- Penaa Natiyam.
- *Naan Partha Arasiyal. 1978. 144 pp.
- Em Ji Aarin Ullum Puramum. 1977. 48 pp.
- Vaazhkai enum Saalaiyile. 1979. 80 pp.
- *Poi Varukiren. 1992. 240 pp.
- Rendu Kadai Vendaam.
- Ilakkiya Yuthamkal.
- Thalaivaraa Thatthuvama?
- *Kannadasan Kathaikal. 1977. 196 pp.
- Kutti Kathaikal. 1971. 68 pp.
- Seithi Kathaikal.
- Aayiram Theevu Angkayarkanni.
- *Cheraman Kathali.
- Oomaiyan Kottai.
- Paarimalai Kodi. 1982. 112 pp.
- Kadal Konda Thennadu.
- Velankudi Thiruvizha. 1972 (2nd ed). 220 pp.
- Vilakku Mattuma Sivappu?
- Athai vida Rahasiyam
- Ayirankaal Mandapam. 1978. 224 pp.
- 1979. 271 pp.
- Sarasuvin Soundarya Lahari. 1980. 200 pp.
- Singari Paartha Chennai
- Manam Pola Vaazhvu. 1981. 132 pp.
- Manathunkku Thukkamillai. 1981. 200 pp.
- Arankamum Antharankamum. 1990. 271 pp.
- Kamini Kanchana
- Muppathu Naalum Pournami
- Aval Oru Indu Penn
- Avalukkaha Oru Padal
- Swarna Saraswathi
- Sivappu kal Mookuthi
- Ratha Pushpankal
- Suruthi Seraatha Ragamkal
- Nadantha Kathai
- Murai Theriyak Kathai
- Chenpakathaman Kathai
- Ennoda Raavukal
- Oru Kavignanin Kathai
- Oru Kudikaran Kathai
- Oru Nathiyin Kathai
- *Sivakangai Seemai. 1972. 160 pp.
- 1978. 79 pp.
- 1973. 87 pp.
- Raja Thandanai.
- Theiva Thirumanamkal.
- *Vana Vaasam. 1965. 376 pp.
- *Mana Vaasam. 1988. 228 pp.
- Enathu Suyasaritham.
- Enathu Vasantha Kaalangal.
- Cinema Santhaiyyil 30 Aandukal.
- Anupava Mozhikal.
- Seppu Mozhikal 250.
- KelvikaLum Kannadasan PatilkaLum.
Life-Help Advisory Literature
- Kudumba Soothiram.
- Kudumba Sugam
- Adavar Mangaiyar Anga Lakkanam.
- Sankara Pokkisham.
- *Thenral Venbaa 1000.
- *Baghavad Gita Urai. 1977. 160 pp.
- Thirukural Kamathu Paal Urai.
- Abirami Anthaathi Urai.
- Aandal Thiruppavai Urai.
- KooLappa Nayakkan Kathal.
- Kanndasan Payanankal.
- Sathiya Muthirai.
Excluded, from the above list, are 10 story scripts Kannadasan wrote for Tamil movies in 1950s – 1960s. Many of these Tamil movies (starring MGR, Sivaji Ganesan and SSR) were financially/critically successful, though a few were flops. These celebrated movies are, Illara Jothi (1954), Sugam Enge (1954; credit shared with A.K. Velan), Naane Raja (1956), Madurai Veeran (1956), Mahadevi (1957), Nadodi Mannan (1958; credit shared with Ravindar), Sivagankai Seemai (1959), Kavalai Illatha Manithan (1960), Ratha Thilagam (1963), and Karuppu Panam (1964). Among these, the last four mentioned were produced by Kannadasan himself.